The Blackstone griddle is a cooking device that is primarily used in commercial kitchens. The griddle has been around since the early 1900s. The Blackstone griddle was created by George Stephen, who was the inventor of the Stephen’s hot dog bun machine.
A lot of people have asked, “Can you cook a pizza on a Blackstone Griddle?” The answer to this question is yes, however there are many different factors that come into play when doing so. In order to cook a pizza on a Blackstone Griddle, you will need to have at least one flat surface that can withstand high temperatures. Consider a detailed Blackstone 28 Griddle Review before making any decision.
Many gas ovens cannot go as high as 500 degrees Fahrenheit and some electric ovens only go up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. This is a temperature that the Blackstone Griddle can reach, but many residential ovens cannot go up to this heat range and also hit temperatures as quickly as the griddle can on its highest setting.
- What Is A Blackstone Griddle And How It Differ From Flat Top Grill
- How to Make A Delicious Pizza on Blackstone Griddle
- Step by step instruction on how to cook a pizza on Blackstone Griddle
- Factors To Consider When Cooking Pizza on the Blackstone Griddle
- Large Round Stone Plates
- High Temperature Cooking
- Pizza Peel Rounds
- So, Can you cook a pizza on a Blackstone Griddle?
- Unique Griddle Accessories You Should Consider
- Safety Tips To Consider
- Rumors About Blackstone Pizza Oven
What Is A Blackstone Griddle And How It Differ From Flat Top Grill
A Flat Top Grill is a metal cooking surface that has been gridded. It may also be spelled as flat top griddle or flat top grill. The type of food that is cooked on a Flat Top Grill can vary depending on the type of Flat Top Grill it is. A Blackstone Griddle, however, is a type of griddle that is often used in restaurants for making pancakes or other foods quickly or in large batches.
It usually has two different set of heating elements so both sides can be heated at the same time and browned evenly. Unlike a traditional griddle, the cooking surface on the Blackstone Griddle is sloped so that when dishes are flipped over they can roll back onto the griddle surface instead of falling off.
The Blackstone Griddle is also used to cook things like deep-fried calamari and shrimp, burgers and any other food that can be cooked on a flat top grill. The sloped cooking surface makes it easier to serve these dishes as well.
Why Do People Want To Cook Pizza On The Griddle?
It is always a temptation to put pizzas in the oven and bake them, but often they are not done cooking before the cheese begins to burn. Griddles cook for a longer period of time than ovens do so your pizza will be cooked enough when it’s ready.
How to Make A Delicious Pizza on Blackstone Griddle
Pizza is one of the most popular dishes in the United States. You can find it just about anywhere. However, cooking a pizza on a Blackstone griddle is a bit different — and tasty! As many of you know, using a Blackstone griddle as an appliance gives you the opportunity to cook anything on your kitchen stove top.
- 1 pizza dough (either make it yourself or buy a frozen one)
- 3 cups of flour for the dough
- 1/4 cups of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 2 eggs and 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil or vegetable oil for brushing on dough
- 1 tablespoon water for the dough
- A pizza stone and oven mitts (these are optional but recommended)
Step by step instruction on how to cook a pizza on Blackstone Griddle
Let’s cook a pizza on Blackstone Griddle.
- Place heavy duty aluminum foil on griddle with some olive oil spray.
- Preheat to 350°F or set grill to Medium-High heat.
- Carefully remove pizza dough from packaging, using spatula or your fingers to get it all off the baking sheet if necessary. Shape into a flattened circle, redistributing the dough if any pieces have bunched together. The dough should be about 1/8″ thick and at least 10″ in diameter for best results.
- Brush surface of pizza dough with sauce – it should cover most but not all of the surface of the dough. Drizzle garlic across sauce on pizza dough.
- Spread mozzarella cheese across pizza dough, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle any additional toppings on the pizza at this time (after 5 minutes or so in oven).
- Use the spatula to carefully transfer the pizza from baking sheet onto foil-covered griddle. Carefully peel away excess foil from around the pizza.
- Carefully place griddle cover on top of it, ensuring that it fits tightly to avoid air leakage and flare-up if using a gas grill. If using an electric grill, turn off one burner and leave only the back burners on.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Rotate its position for even cooking. After 5 minutes, carefully remove cover and rotate whole griddle (not pizza) to ensure the top is evenly cooked. If possible, use an infrared thermometer to measure temperature of side and top of pizza dough, noting that it will be hotter near the grate in open areas than near the center where the dough is thicker. Adjust griddle temperature accordingly if necessary to cook top of pizza at 350-400°F.
- Once griddle has cooled for a minute or so, use the spatula to remove the pizza from the griddle and transfer it to a cutting board. Grate fresh Parmesan cheese over pizza and slice into wedges, then serve.
Note: Removing the pizza from the hot griddle is easier if you start by picking up a corner of the aluminum foil. If necessary, use pot holders to grab hold of the edge of the cover and peel it off. Because different griddles cook at slightly different temperatures, you will need to adjust cooking times as needed (turning up the heat or lowering it slightly) to match your particular product.
Factors To Consider When Cooking Pizza on the Blackstone Griddle
The factors that come into play when cooking pizza on the Blackstone griddle are the shape of the pizza dough, how high it is raised on the griddle, and how close it is to the heat. If the pizza dough is round, it is best cooked with a lower temperature 500+ degrees compared to an oval pizza that requires a higher temperature. If you raise the pizza dough too high on it or too close to the heat source, it creates uneven cooking and becomes burnt on its bottom before reaching desired doneness. In order for all factors to be taken into account, follow the steps provided below.
Large Round Stone Plates
Small to medium size pizzas (4″ – 14″) are best cooked at 500+ degrees using the large round stone plates. This is determined by how quickly you want your pizza finished as well as temperature and/or time it takes to cook in an oven or on your home stove. The larger the pizza, cooking it at 500+ degrees may cause your pizza to burn on its bottom before reaching desired doneness.
High Temperature Cooking
Cooking Pizza at high temperatures with a round stone creates uneven cooking and burning on its bottom before reaching desired doneness. This step is important for oval shaped and/or rectangular pizzas.
Pizza Peel Rounds
Arrange 2-3 Blackstone pizza peel rounds on your griddle’s cooking surface. If you are using rectangular pizza stones, arrange 3-4 pizza stone plates to create a flat surface. Arranging them will also allow for even heat distribution around the cooking area of the griddle.
The Blackstone griddle has been designed to be a flat cooking surface, so pizzas can also be cooked on the “non-peel” side of the Blackstone Pizza stone plates with great results.
So, Can you cook a pizza on a Blackstone Griddle?
The answer as explained earlier is yes but do consider all the factors discussed above before cooking a pizza on Blackstone Griddle. I have write a complete article on Blackstone 28 Griddle Review explaining all pros and cons and every single detail. Do check it to have a detailed understanding on the griddles. It offers a great taste if used in the proper way. Cooking perfect pancakes on the Blackstone griddle is a complete mess. A detailed guide will help food lovers to find the perfect recipe.
Unique Griddle Accessories You Should Consider
Many cooks will use a griddle to make breakfast or lunch for the family. A griddle is usually best when cooking for a large family because it provides more room to cook than the stove top. The best accessories for every griddle are as follows:
- Tongs – You can substitute this with an oven glove but tongs are easier and safer. Tongs regulate heat better and you won’t burn yourself either.
- Tablespoon – You’ll need this when pouring oil on the griddle.
- Potholder – A potholder will keep your hands cool while using the griddle because it’s less likely that you’ll get burned as well if you’re careful about how you handle it.
- Tea towels – A tea towel keeps the cooked food from getting cold while putting the next batch of food that needs to be cooked on the griddle.
- Spatula – This can be substituted with a spoon but if you want one, try using a spatula because it will do you better than a spoon when dealing with pancakes, etc.
- Thin pancake turner – This is used for flipping pancakes and other delicate foods like hash browns and French fries.
Safety Tips To Consider
Cooking on a griddle is an easy task with the proper tools, but you can also have accidents while cooking due to lack of preparation. The main safety tips are as follows:
- Don’t use hot pads on the griddle – Get potholders instead.
- Wear proper clothes when cooking – Wear clothing that will prevent you from getting burned or cut from knives or sharp edges of food and objects in the kitchen.
- Never cook if your aren’t feeling well – If you are sick, it’s best if you don’t cook because it is easy to contaminate your food by coughing or sneezing.
- Clean cooking area after completion – Clean up the table and griddle right after you are done cooking so that there won’t be any opportunities for food to get contaminated if left out.
- Wash hands before and after handling food – Wash your hands after handling raw foods like meat and the griddle to prevent bacteria.
Rumors About Blackstone Pizza Oven
Rumors are swirling about whether or not the infamous and beloved, yet elusive restaurant in question has ceased production of its famous pizzas due to dwindling profits. The sign on the door says they’re closed for renovations but some people say it’s pretty clear what this means: no more pies!
I was always a fan of Blackstone, and their oven pizzas were my absolute favorite. I been going to Blackstone for the past 8 years, but recently, I came across an article that said they discontinued the oven pizza!
The oven pizza is as special to me as getting a real Italian pizza. I was so sad… till I visited the restaurant and confirmed that it was true. I did some research about this, and here’s what I found:
The Blackstone Pizza Oven is now history because they are converting all their locations into Express Fast-Fire’d Pizzas. Blackstone is still featuring the oven, but only as a display model, and no longer available to order.
So, it’s unfortunate for me that Blackstone has stopped selling oven pizzas. However, on a positive note, I will give their Fast-Fire’d Pizza a try soon to see how they compare to the oven pizza.
I have found that the Blackstone Griddle is a versatile cooking surface and has quickly become one of my favorite items in my kitchen. I hope you enjoyed this post on Can You Cook A Pizza On A Blackstone Griddle. If you are looking for more information about griddles and smokers, please check out our website and feel free to contact us with any questions!