- Signs your grill needs cleaning
- Cleaning flat top grills regularly
- Tools needed for cleaning
- Clean Flat Top Grills on the basis of your Griddle’s material
If you don’t clean your flat top grill, it will expire soon then you will be claiming the company on its durability! It happens most of the time that people don’t clean the grill extensively and complain about it’s rusting and inappropriate working. This detailed guide will help you understand how to clean a cast iron flat top grill to increase it’s durability and enjoy the delicious food for a long time.
The first most important aspect of cooking is cleaning your workstation. When using a grill or smoker or any of the cooking appliances you must know how to take good care of it for a better life. Only spending money on a grill is not essential, resurfacing a flat top grill require cleaning and proper care as well.
If you own one of the flat top grills then you must have seen it stained and grimy. So what could be an appropriate way to clean a griddle? Lets cover end to end research of cleaning the best flat top grills in every way. Select a proper method to keep it clean as a new grill. Cleaning is caring for your grill. If you don’t do it then your grill will die within a few years.
Before heading towards the cleaning methods. You should know when you should clean the griddles and how often. This will clearly assist you to keep the griddle safe for many years.
Signs your grill needs cleaning
Before moving towards on how to clean a cast iron flat top grill let’s talk about the signs that show you need cleaning. Mostly people wipe the leftover food and grease carelessly and think that their grill is all perfect. But every time you can’t leave the grill without proper cleaning.
Sticky griddle surface
The top flat surface of the grill on which you cook food becomes sticky. It’s a lot frustrating to cook when your whole food is sticking to the griddle surface. The griddle surface will become non-stick which will ruin your food.
You will never want the flavor of one food into another. Sticky surfaces with improper cleaning can mix your previous food into the new one which will taste too bad. Whenever you feel the taste of other food particles in your recent food it directly means that you need a proper cleaning.
Hotspots on griddle
When you see your food is not cooking and hot spots are visible on the grill then cleaning is then the only option left for you to cook proper food.
Grease is formed after every cook. If the grease on the griddle is not removed properly then it will give off burnt flavors in food. It’s essential to remove grease properly from the griddle surface.
Whenever you see any of these risks then it means your griddle needs thorough cleaning.
Cleaning flat top grills regularly
Mostly people don’t know how important it is to clean a grill regularly. Regularly, means if you use your grill very often then cleaning it after every use is necessary. Not cleaning a grill after every use can turn its journey towards rusting and eventually it will become useless.
To prevent your grill from any kind of damage clean it as often as required.
Tools needed for cleaning
You need some specific tools to clean the grill fast and properly. Here is the list of the tools that are required for cleaning.
- Griddle scraper
- Cleaning Kit (Holder, Pad and Screen)
- Vegetable oil for cleaning
- Cleaning brush
- Stainless Steel Cleaner & Polish
- A clean piece of Cloth
- Warm water.
Clean Flat Top Grills on the basis of your Griddle’s material
The flat top grill can be found in different materials. The griddle is cleaned according to the griddle material. This is one of the most best way on How To Clean a Cast Iron Flat Top Grill according to the material that is used in the grill.
Cleaning a Stainless Steel Griddle
Stainless steel griddle is the most commonly preferred griddle for best results. These griddles need proper time to clean up.
- Turn on the griddle at high temperature upto 350 degrees and scrape the debris or grease from the surface.
- Use warm water on the surface. Ensure not to use cold water.
- After the surface cools down, scrub the whole surface of the griddle by assembling the pad and screen onto the scrub holder.
- Clean the surface by wiping and rinsing.
- Apply the stainless steel cleaner on the surface.
- Wipe off and dry the griddle surface properly.
- Cleaning of the stainless steel griddle is done now.
Cleaning a chrome Griddle
Chrome griddle surfaces are mostly used in open and commercial kitchens. It is very eye appealing and highly expensive. Here are the steps to clean a chrome griddle and resurfacing a flat top grill.
- Turn on the griddle at high temperature upto 350 degrees and scrape the debris, food particles or grease from the surface.
- Use warm water and a less abrasive griddle brush to clean it completely.
- Cool down the surface and apply food safe polish that is also less abrasive.
- Dry the surface by wiping with the clean cloth or rag.
- After the application remove all of the polish properly from the grill by using a damp cloth.
Make sure not to use any of the scrub pads or abrasive tools on the chrome griddle. These can damage the chrome plated surface.
Seasoning the griddle:
Seasoning of a grill is recommended regularly. This can enhance the functioning of the griddle. If your grill is new then it is very important.
The easiest steps to season your griddle are:
- Turn your griddle on high heat with 350 to 400° F temperature for 25-30 minutes
- Turn off the grill and wait for it to cool a bit
- Clean it properly when the grill is still hot (avoid burning your hands)
- Spread the cooking oil or any of the seasoning oil all over the griddle properly.
- Turn the grill on again at 350° F
- Let the oil burn for 15-20 minutes until the smoke appears.
- After burning the oil, turn the grill off.
- Clean the oil after it cools down.
This process can be repeated until the grill is cleaned
How To Clean a Cast Iron Flat Top Grill like a new?
By covering it with the griddle cover. You should scrub the grates, season it regularly, use vinegar like elements to clean, and clean off the rusts and other dirt.
How much time does it take to season a griddle?
It takes almost 15-20 minute to spread the oil on the grill and wipe it off. You can do it 3-4 times to season properly.
How to prevent your flat top grill from rusting?
- Apply extra oil after cooking and wipe it off
- Use high quality grill cover to prevent it from the environment.
- Keep it cool and in a dehydrated place.
- Continuously check your griddle if not in daily use.