Your biggest issue while cooking is that whenever you cook on your Traeger, the food from outside is well cooked but it remains uncooked from inside. This is the problem faced by many beginners or even pros that don’t know how to use it or have just bought it. For this purpose, Traeger comes with a meat probe that helps you to cook your food thoroughly.
But if you don’t know How To Use Traeger Meat Probe then stick to this article to find out the correct method to use it. But if you don’t even know about the probe let us tell you about that first.
What Is A Meat Probe?
A meat probe is a device that helps you to monitor the internal temperature of your food and gives you precise temperature measurements.
It helps you to cook your food evenly from inside or outside. Most of the new grills have a built-in probe but if your grill doesn’t have one we recommend you to buy one as it helps in the proper cooking of your food.
It is inserted into the meat so that you can measure the internal temperature of the food actively and cook your food thoroughly from inside. Now we should step to the second step that is, How To Use A Probe.
Probe Guide – How To Use Traeger Meat Probe
It is simple and easy to use this device for cooking. You can monitor the temperature of your food at any moment through your phone if it has a Wifi system. But even if your grill doesn’t have any Wifi system it can show you the temperature of your food through the digital control panel. Here is the step-by-step guide on using a probe.
- First of all, put the probe’s 3.5mm jack into the port of your grill. If your grill has two probes then select the one in which you’ve placed its pin.
- If you want to test it then place it in a glass full of ice and water and read the temperature readings after 20 seconds.
- If it is working right, then place it in deep meat. Avoid the tip of the probe from touching the bone or fat area as it may cause wrong temperature readings.
- Now, you can note temperature readings after every 20 seconds. If you have a probe of high quality you can even get readings after every 10 seconds.
There were simple steps to use it to cook your food thoroughly. But before using it you should calibrate it first to get precise temperature readings.
How To Calibrate A Meat Probe
Calibrating it is the first step towards even cooking. Because this probe will tell you about the temperatures of the inside of the food precisely and help you to achieve your desired temperature to cook your food. Here are some simple steps to calibrate your probe:
- Turn on your grill after connecting the device to it.
- Now set the grill to probe calibration by selecting it from the settings.
- Open the menu, select setting, and open the probe calibration option, and after that select calibrate the probe.
- Now, fill a glass with ice and water so that you can calibrate it.
- Dip it in the glass that is full of ice and water.
- Wait for the readings.
- If it shows you a temperature of 32℉ then it is good for measuring cooking temperatures.
- But if it shows you other temperatures that are not even close to this, you need to get it checked by a professional that can resolve this issue.
Using this method you can calibrate it and make sure that it gives you correct temperature readings. Otherwise, you may end up burning your food. Traeger Pro 34 review can help to finalize one of the most demanding smoker.
Advantages of Using Probe
There are many advantages of using this device as it is a useful device and should be available in every wood pellet grill or barbecue grill. Here are the advantages of a probe with correct temperature reading efficiency.
- You can get information about the temperature of your food and grill simultaneously.
- It tells you the internal temperature of your food so that you can stop cooking after the temperature has reached your required level.
- It prevents overcooking or burning of food by monitoring the temperature.
- It ensures even cooking of your food.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you leave a Traeger meat probe in while cooking?
Yes, You can leave it inside the grill while cooking as it is capable of telling you the exact temperature of the food. There should be a probe grommet at the side of your grill so that its wire can be passed through it and you can close the lid while cooking. But if you don’t have this we recommend you to buy one from the market or online so that you can close the lid while cooking otherwise you cannot close the lid while it is attached.
How does a probe thermometer work?
It measures the internal temperature of your food through the metal rod and tells the exact temperature to your control panel through the wire that is connected to the end of the metal rod. Put it in the deeper part of the meat and it will start an alarm when the temperature has reached your required level. So it is simple in working but is very useful while cooking thick meat or thicker foods.
How long does it take for a thermometer to adjust?
It will only take 5 minutes to adjust it according to your room and change its temperature. It is a quick working device but provides you with accurate readings. This device is available in almost every pellet grill as a digital thermometer. So its use is recommended for almost every cooking but when you cook any thicker food then this is a must to use.
This is a great and useful device for the ones who know how to use it. But if you don’t know How To Use A Traeger Meat Probe then let us tell you it is a very easy-to-use device. Just insert it in a deeper part of meat away from fat or bones and it will tell you about the internal temperature of your food. So use it if you want perfect cooking and don’t want food that is still uncooked from the inside.